The click-friendly text in a hyperlink is technically known as the anchor text. According to the content of words in the anchor text, search engines determine the subject matter of the linked page. Generally the link labels constitute 50 to 60 characters and may be short or long depending on the information that you are trying to portray. Let’s take a code snippet to better understand the anchor text.
<a href=”https://geeksdigest.com”>Blogging Tips</a>
In the above code, Blogging Tips in the anchor text which is pointing to https://geeksdigest.com. In essence, it tells the search engines that you will find content related to blogging on techcloud.in.
Search engine algorithms keep on changing frequently. The manner in which search engines used to rank websites based on anchor text is not the same anymore. There are links that are devoid of any kind of anchor text, which is quite common on the web, are known as naked URLs. More specifically called URL links. These URL links can also help content and website rank in search engines today.
What is the role of Anchor Text in ranking of your web page?
Anchor text has several advantages related with search engine optimization. Providing certain links directing to various articles or sites through link text is quite beneficial. The provision of anchor text enables the viewers to get exposed to several other relevant pages on your blog which in turn increase web traffic and conversions. Link texts, also help readers to navigate easily on a website, thereby increasing the time of engagement and decreasing bounce rate. However, it is advisable to use only relevant anchor texts to link pages and posts for better SEO. Also, you should refrain from using the same anchor word again and again. Use of phrases is highly recommended.
When multiple links direct to a page with the content of specific keywords in the anchor text, the web page will supposedly have good fortune and rank well. Website designers or blog writers generally use the title of the web page or the domain name and link. These may also include keywords that you want to get ranked for. An anchor text also helps the search engines to determine the composition of the web page which is directed through the link provided. For example, suppose you link to the SEO page of your site. You would then want to incorporate the word SEO in your anchor text. Something like ‘SEO Tips’ or ‘SEO Techniques’ etc. This assists the search engine in acknowledging that the page talks about SEO and not something else.
As discussed earlier, linking to pages with the same anchor text is not advisable. It is recommended now, that only 10% of the exact text may be used to link to any other ancillary page on your site. The rest 90% must be branded anchor text or zero match anchor text or partial match anchor text. Let’s discuss the different types of anchor text.
Types of Anchor Text
- Exact Match Anchor Text: When the keywords amalgamated in a link are the exact ones that will help to increase the visibility in the search engines, it is known as exact match anchor text. Here, the anchor text will include exactly the same word as the keyword.
- Partial Match Anchor Text: When the anchor text is aided with some other words besides the keyword that you want to provide more visibility for, it is called partial match anchor text.
- Zero Match Anchor Text: When there is no incorporation of keyword in the link which you are interested in, it is called zero match anchor text. Good examples are ‘click here’ or ‘learn more’.
- Branded Anchor Text: When the bridge to a web page is created through the usage of a URL or the brand title of a website, it is known as branded anchor text.
I hope you enjoyed reading the post and it helped you understand all that is to know about Anchor Text. Do let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.